SINGLES 1965













The last time

A : The Last Time (MJ/KR) B : Play With Fire (Nanker/Phelge)
Producer : Andrew OldhamSound Engineer : Dave Hassinger Recorded : 18.01.1965Studio : RCA Studios, Hollywood Released : 25.02.1965Decca F 12104
This was inspired by a 1955 Gospel song of the same name by The Staples Singers. Many Gospel fans felt The Stones ripped it off, since The Staples Singers never got any royalties from it. Since it is a traditional song (meaning no one owns the rights to it), many artists have recorded it, but The Stones were a very high-profile band that had success reworking songs by black artists into hits. Many people believe The Stones should have compensated The Staples Singers because it was based on their version of the song.
US CHART POS.9 – UK CHART POS. 1 ==========lyric
" Well I told you once and I told you twice But ya never listen to my advice You don't try very hard to please me With what you know it should be easy Well this could be the last time This could be the last time Maybe the last time I don't know. Oh no. Oh no Well, I'm sorry girl but I can't stay Feelin' like I do today It's too much pain and too much sorrow Guess I'll feel the same tomorrow Well this could be the last time This could be the last time Maybe the last time I don't know. Oh no. Oh no Well I told you once and I told you twice That someone will have to pay the price But here's a chance to change your mind 'Cuz I'll be gone a long, long time Well this could be the last time This could be the last time Maybe the last time I don't know. Oh no. Oh no Well, this could be the last time



1997 song called "Bittersweet Symphony" by The Verve sampled an obscure orchestral version of this. The Stones' former manager Allen Klein, who owns the publishing rights to this, received extensive royalties, as "Bittersweet Symphony" was a radio hit and even used in a Nike commercial.
This was the first song Mick Jagger and Keith Richards wrote that was an A-side single. The Stones played a lot of covers before they learned to write songs. =====
US version ==A : The Last Time (MJ/KR) B : Play With Fire (Nanker/Phelge)

Producer : Andrew Oldham,Impact SoundSound Engineer : Dave Hassinger Recorded : 18.01.1965, vocal A - 18.02.1965Studio : RCA Studios, Hollywood
Released : 13.03.1965London 45-LON 9741

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

A : (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (MJ/KR) B : The Spider And The Fly (Nanker/Phelge)
Producer : Andrew OldhamSound Engineer : Dave HassingerRecorded : 12.05.1965Studio : RCA Studios, Hollywood Released : 20.08.1965Decca F 12220
While in Clearwater, Florida on The Stones third US tour in 1965, Keith Richards woke up in his hotel room with the guitar riff and lyric "Can't get no satisfaction" in his head. He recorded it on a portable tape deck, went back to sleep, and brought it to the studio that week. The tape contained his guitar riff followed by the sounds of him snoring.Richards ran his guitar through a Gibson Fuzz Box to create the distortion effect. He had no intention of using the sound on the record, but Gibson had just sent him the device, and he thought the Fuzz Box would create sustained notes to help sketch out the horn section. The band thought it sounded great and wanted to use the sound because it would be very unusual for a Rock record. Richards thought it sounded gimmicky and did not like the result, but the rest of the band convinced him to ditch the horn section and use the distorted guitar sound.==========lyric
I can't get no satisfaction, I can't get no satisfaction. 'Cause I try and I try and I try and I try. I can't get no, I can't get no. When I'm drivin' in my car and that man comes on the radio and he's tellin' me more and more about some useless information supposed to fire my imagination. I can't get no, oh no no no. Hey hey hey, that's what I say. I can't get no satisfaction, I can't get no satisfaction. 'Cause I try and I try and I try and I try. I can't get no, I can't get no. When I'm watchin' my TV and that man comes on to tell me how white my shirts can be. Well he can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke the same cigarrettes as me. I can't get no, oh no no no. Hey hey hey, that's what I say. I can't get no satisfaction, I can't get no girl with action. 'Cause I try and I try and I try and I try. I can't get no, I can't get no. When I'm ridin' round the world and I'm doin' this and I'm signing that and I'm tryin' to make some girl who tells me baby better come back later next week 'cause you see I'm on losing streak. I can't get no, oh no no no.
Hey hey hey, that's what I say. I can't get no, I can't get no, I can't get no satisfaction, no satisfaction, no satisfaction, no satisfaction. =====



US version ==A : (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (MJ/KR) B : The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man (Nanker/Phelge)
Producer : Andrew OldhamSound Engineers : A - Dave Hassinger, B - Ron MaloRecorded :A - 12.05.65 , RCA Studios, HollywoodB - 10.05.65 , Chess Studios,Chicago Released : 6.06.1965London 45-LON 9766

Get off of my cloud

A : Get Off Of My Cloud (MJ/KR) B : The Singer Not The Song (MJ/KR)
Producer : Andrew OldhamSound Engineer : Dave Hassinger Recorded : 6.09.1965Studio : RCA Studios, Hollywood Released : 22.10.1965 Decca F 12263
Keith Richards: "Get Off My Cloud was basically a response to people knocking on our door asking us for the follow up to Satisfaction. Satisfaction was such an enormous hit worldwide. This, to us, was mind-blowing. I mean not only was it a #1 record but, boom! We thought, 'At last. We can sit back and maybe think about events.' Suddenly there's the knock at the door and of course what came out of that was Get Off Of My Cloud. Because within 3 weeks, in those days hey, they want another single. And we weren't quite ready for that. So it was our response to the knock at the door: Get off of my cloud. And I'm surprised that it did so well. I mean it has a certain charm but I really remember it as a knee-jerk reaction. And it came out better than I thought." (thanks, bertrand - Paris, France)Mick Jagger (1995): "That was Keith's melody and my lyrics. It's a stop-bugging-me, post-teenage-alienation song. The grown-up world was a very ordered society in the '60s, and I was coming out of it. America was even more ordered than anywhere else.==========lyric
I live in an apartment on the ninety-ninth floor of my block And I sit at home looking out the window Imagining the world has stopped Then in flies a guy who's all dressed up like a Union Jack And says, I've won five pounds if I have his kind of detergent pack I said, Hey! You! Get off of my cloud Hey! You! Get off of my cloud Hey! You! Get off of my cloud Don't hang around 'cause two's a crowd On my cloud, baby The telephone is ringing I say, "Hi, it's me. Who is it there on the line?" A voice says, "Hi, hello, how are you Well, I guess I'm doin' fine" He says, "It's three a.m., there's too much noise Don't you people ever wanna go to bed? Just 'cause you feel so good, do you have To drive me out of my head?" I said, Hey! You! Get off of my cloud Hey! You! Get off of my cloud
Hey! You! Get off of my cloud Don't hang around 'cause two's a crowd On my cloud baby I was sick and tired, fed up with this And decided to take a drive downtown It was so very quiet and peaceful There was nobody, not a soul around I laid myself out, I was so tired and I started to dream In the morning the parking tickets were just like A flag stuck on my window screen I said, Hey! You! Get off of my cloud Hey! You! Get off of my cloud Hey! You! Get off of my cloud Don't hang around 'cause two's a crowd On my cloud Hey! You! Get off of my cloud Hey! You! Get off of my cloud Hey! You! Get off of my cloud Don't hang around, baby, two's a crowd
=====
US version==A : Get Off Of My Cloud (MJ/KR) B : I'm Free (MJ/KR)
Producer : Andrew OldhamSound Engineer : Dave Hassinger Recorded : A - 5.09.1965, B - 6.09.1965Studio : RCA Studios, Hollywood
Released : 25.09.1965London 45-LON 9792

As tears go by ( US released)
A : As Tears Go By (MJ/KR/Andrew Oldham) B : Gotta Get Away (MJ/KR)
Producer : Andrew OldhamSound Engineer : A - Glyn Johns, B - Dave Hassinger Recorded : A - 26.10.65 , IBC Studios LondonB - 5 or 6 .09.65 , RCA Hollywood
Released : 18.12.1965London 45-LON 9808
This was one of the first songs written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. The Stones manager, Andrew Oldham, gave it to a singer he also managed named Marianne Faithfull, who released it in 1964. It was going to be the B-side of her first single, but the record company decided to make it the A-side and it became her first hit. The Stones recorded it a year later.==========lyric
It is the evening of the dayI sit and watch the children playSmiling faces I can see
But not for meI sit and watchAs tears go byMy riches can't buy everythingI want to hear the children singAll I hear is the soundOf rain falling on the groundI sit and watchAs tears go byIt is the evening of the dayI sit and watch the children playDoing things I used to doThey think are newI sit and watchAs tears go by